Double Pulley Problem: Relations Between Masses and Accelerations

In summary: Ok, one equation is wrong. T2 is minus and M2*g is plus as you need to preserve the same sign convention between the two equations if you want to solve for a1 in terms of a2. You have the convention changed between the equations.If you make this change the equations are consistent with T2= 2T1.
jessedevin

Homework Statement

An object of mass m1 on a frictionless horizontal table is connected to an object of mass m2 through a very light pulley P1 and a light fixed pulley P2.

p4-38.gif

(a) If a1 and a2 are the accelerations of m1 and m2, respectively, what is the relation between these accelerations?

(b) Express the tensions in the strings in terms of g and the masses m1 and m2.

(c) Express the accelerations a1 and a2 in terms of g and the masses m1 and m2.

Homework Equations

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

The way that I did it was I made two force diagrams. The first force diagram of m1 I made just has force going to the right, force T1 (tension of rope). Then I have a second force diagram of m2 with a force T2 going up and a force of mg (or weight of m2) going down. but the thing is that I keep on getting one a (acceleration), but the answer has a1 and a2. Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong with my force diagrams. I think if i can have the correct force diagram, then I will be able to do the problem (hopefully!).

Attachments

• p4-38.gif
    p4-38.gif
    10.3 KB · Views: 2,420
Physics news on Phys.org
jessedevin said:

Homework Statement

An object of mass m1 on a frictionless horizontal table is connected to an object of mass m2 through a very light pulley P1 and a light fixed pulley P2.

p4-38.gif

(a) If a1 and a2 are the accelerations of m1 and m2, respectively, what is the relation between these accelerations?

Homework Equations

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

The way that I did it was I made two force diagrams. The first force diagram of m1 I made just has force going to the right, force T1 (tension of rope). Then I have a second force diagram of m2 with a force T2 going up and a force of mg (or weight of m2) going down. but the thing is that I keep on getting one a (acceleration), but the answer has a1 and a2. Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong with my force diagrams. I think if i can have the correct force diagram, then I will be able to do the problem (hopefully!).

The movable pulley gives you a mechanical advantage of 2, but it means the tension translated to m1 is only 1/2 from T2, and hence so too will the acceleration of m1 be different.

Stated as Tensions that's T2 = 2T1

Attachments

• p4-38.gif
    p4-38.gif
    10.3 KB · Views: 1,019
Last edited:
LowlyPion said:
The movable pulley gives you a mechanical advantage of 2, but it means the tension translated to m1 is only 1/2 from T2, and hence so too will the acceleration of m1 be different.

Stated as Tensions that's T2 = 2T1

Okay, so if T2= 2T1, then the force diagram looks like this (this is what i got):
The force diagram of m1 has T1 going to the right, m1g going down, and the normal vector n going up.
The force diagram of m2 has T2 going up and m2g going down.

So here's the way I did it, but its wrong for some reason, and i don't no why:
[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fm1= T1 = m1a1
[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fm2= T2 - m2g=m2a2.

So what i did to find the relationship between the accelerations was substitute T2 = 2T1.
2m1a1 - m2g= m2a2
a1= m2(a2 + g)/2m1
But it says that i am wrong, and there is not suppose to be the gravity constant in the relationship between the accelerations. Can someone please tell me what am i doing wrong?

jessedevin said:
But it says that i am wrong, and there is not suppose to be the gravity constant in the relationship between the accelerations. Can someone please tell me what am i doing wrong?

You can't avoid g.

Edit: But in part (a) the relationship of the accelerations falls out of the pulley doesn't it?

Last edited:
LowlyPion said:
You can't avoid g.

I mean for part (a)

Should i determine part (b) or (c) before I do (a)

jessedevin said:
I mean for part (a)

Sorry, I edited my previous post when I realized you were talking about a).

Here it is again. But in part (a) the relationship of the accelerations falls out of the pulley doesn't it?

LowlyPion said:

Here it is again. But in part (a) the relationship of the accelerations falls out of the pulley doesn't it?

What do you mean? That a1=a2? I am really confused...

jessedevin said:
What do you mean? That a1=a2? I am really confused...

Visualize how far you have to pull the rope at the m1 side of the pulley to move the weight on the m2 side. Don't you have to move a distance of 2 for every 1 you move on the m2 side? Isn't that where the mechanical advantage comes from? You pull only 1/2 as much, but over twice the distance to move things on the m2 side? For any velocity at m2 then there is 2 times the velocity at m1.

Okay i get that for any velocity at m2 there is 2 times the velocity at m1, so a1= 2a2. But I am confused on how to set of the force equations.Did i write the force equations right? Can you give me a hint on how to set it up?

Force eqns:
[tex]\Sigma[/tex] Fm1= T1 = m1a1
[tex]\Sigma[/tex] Fm2= T2 - m2g=m2a2.

Last edited:
jessedevin said:
[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fm1= T1 = m1a1
[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fm2= T2 - m2g=m2a2.

So what i did to find the relationship between the accelerations was substitute T2 = 2T1.

Ok, one equation is wrong. T2 is minus and M2*g is plus as you need to preserve the same sign convention between the two equations if you want to solve them.

jessedevin said:
Okay i get that for any velocity at m2 there is 2 times the velocity at m1, so a1= 2a2. But I am confused on how to set of the force equations.Did i write the force equations right? Can you give me a hint on how to set it up?

Force eqns:
[tex]\Sigma[/tex] Fm1= T1 = m1a1
[tex]\Sigma[/tex] Fm2= T2 - m2g=m2a2.

If 2x1 = x2
and 2v1 = v2
What is a1 again?

LowlyPion said:
If 2x1 = x2
and 2v1 = v2
What is a1 again?
a1=2a2 ...lol

Last edited:
LowlyPion said:
Ok, one equation is wrong. T2 is minus and M2*g is plus as you need to preserve the same sign convention between the two equations if you want to solve them.

how is that eqn wrong. m2g is the force going down (hence, negative) and T2 is going up, isn't the force eqn i wrote right? Also can you give me any more hints on writing each tension T in terms of m1, m2 and gravity?

jessedevin said:
how is that eqn wrong. m2g is the force going down (hence, negative) and T2 is going up, isn't the force eqn i wrote right? Also can you give me any more hints on writing each tension T in terms of m1, m2 and gravity?

You need to make Tension the same sign in whatever direction you choose.

You chose to the right in equation 1 and it translates to the left in equation 2. As the problem stands it is net down. So T must be < m2g

Okay i am still drawing a blank on this problem... So let's go back from the beginning. My textbook does not explain mechanical advantage, so could you please explain a little more in depth on mechanical advantage on having two pulleys in relation to the two masses?

jessedevin said:
Okay i am still drawing a blank on this problem... So let's go back from the beginning. My textbook does not explain mechanical advantage, so could you please explain a little more in depth on mechanical advantage on having two pulleys in relation to the two masses?

Maybe this will help?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulley#Types_of_systems

It helped a little, but still kind of foggy. Is there any more hints you could give me to help me solve the problem? I am completely stuck.

Can anyone give me more hints to answer this problem?

LowlyPion said:

I think, we set the T's equal , solve for a1 which will give us a2. I don't think the a's fall out when solving for the tension, but I think we can find the a's... I hope.

FAQ: Double Pulley Problem: Relations Between Masses and Accelerations

1. How does the double pulley system affect the acceleration of the masses?

The double pulley system can affect the acceleration of the masses in two ways: by increasing or decreasing the total mass being moved and by changing the direction of the applied force. If the pulleys are arranged in a way that the direction of the forces applied to the masses is reversed, the total mass being moved is effectively doubled, resulting in a decreased acceleration. Similarly, if the pulleys are arranged in a way that the direction of the forces applied to the masses is the same, the total mass being moved is effectively halved, resulting in an increased acceleration.

2. How are the masses and accelerations related in a double pulley system?

The masses and accelerations in a double pulley system are inversely proportional. This means that as the mass of the object being moved increases, the acceleration decreases and vice versa. This relationship is based on Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force applied to it and inversely proportional to its mass.

3. What is the difference between a fixed and a movable pulley in a double pulley system?

A fixed pulley is attached to a stationary object and only changes the direction of the applied force. It does not change the amount of force or the acceleration of the masses. On the other hand, a movable pulley is attached to the object being moved and changes the direction of the applied force as well as the effective mass being moved, resulting in a change in acceleration.

4. Can the masses in a double pulley system ever have different accelerations?

No, the masses in a double pulley system will always have the same acceleration. This is because they are connected by the same rope or cable, causing them to move together at the same speed. Even if one mass is heavier than the other, the force applied to both masses will be the same, resulting in equal accelerations.

5. How does friction affect the acceleration of the masses in a double pulley system?

Friction can cause a decrease in the acceleration of the masses in a double pulley system. This is because frictional forces act in the opposite direction of motion, resulting in a net force that is smaller than the applied force. In order to account for friction, the mass of the system must be increased, resulting in a smaller acceleration.